Jamie recently posted about the introduction activity we did in Journalism I yesterday. I agree, PR and advertising should be very interesting to learn about.
Jamie said that the Head-On commercial was bad because it was annoying, but really, isn't that effective marketing? I mean, they got the message across, yes? Apply directly to the forehead. I'd say it was pretty good. I agreed with her about Dumb Ways To Die, however. It was a funny commercial that I could relate to. I mean, who hasn't dressed up as a moose during hunting season? (Looking at you, Jared Padalecki.)
On the worksheet, I had listed the worst advertisement as the 1990's McDonald's commercial Misha Collins starred in before he was famous. It is poor quality (obviously though) and doesn't really go with McDonald's business at all.
I said the best advertisement was the Amazon Kindle commercial where two people meet at a beach. There's a man and a woman on lawn chairs. The woman says, "My husband is getting me a drink," and the man replies, "So's mine." They look up at their husbands at the drink bar and wave. I like this commercial because it shows the gay man as completely normal, and when it shows the husbands, it is not said which one is gay and which is straight, which means there's no stereotypes enforced in it. It makes me smile, which is good.
Woo, commercials! I cannot wait to study them further.
However, the commercial isn't informative at all. It says to apply to the forehead, but it doesn't tell where one can buy HeadOn, how much it is, or even in which circumstances you are supposed to use it in. Is it for headaches? Is it lotion? Maybe it's Maybelline. We don't know, because it doesn't tell us anything.
ReplyDelete".....basically HeadOn was a tube of ordinary wax. Not any actual kind of medical treatment, and therefore it couldn’t be marketed as such....It's wax. It's just wax." (http://pizzatomb.tumblr.com/post/61142543398)
ReplyDelete