Haley Kaelin recently posted a critique of a Courier-Journal story about a woman in Corydon, IN who died in a car crash in Harrison County. Haley used the argument that because she personally was not affected by the incident, it was not a newsworthy story.
She said that Indiana is far away from Louisville, and basically implied that the Courier-Journal should only write about events happening in Louisville. The thing is, Haley, the CJ says that they "serve ... Louisville and Southern Indiana communities." And Corydon is literally only 25.8 miles away from Louisville, so not "a ways away".
I'd also argue that this story could be newsworthy. Since the CJ is writing for Harrison County too, I can go ahead and speculate that at least someone cares about the details of the car crash. Family, friends, community members, etc. might've known Denise L. Meitzler and wanted the details. I mean, just looking at her obituary, lots of people will miss her. She was a mail carrier and met lots of people that way. So people definitely do care. Or maybe that street was shut down because of the crash. Who knows.
I guess what I'm trying to say is: Someone probably cares about this news. Just not you.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it. However, what you wrote about this particular critique did catch my attention. I wasn't implying these points at all. I went back to read what I published, and I understand where these thoughts could be interpreted as wrong. I believe you are a bit misdirected. What I was trying to say initially, was this story has no long term impact on a mass amount of people. The world doesn't revolve around me, I know that, I wasn't implying that because I was not personally associated with this person it wasn't newsworthy. She will be missed by family and friends...look at the defintiton of newsworthiness and re-read the article.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stephanie. The person who was killed was my mother, Denise Meitzler. Many people have been affected by her death. She worked at the Lyndon Post Office as a rural carrier and was loved by all the people she worked with and delivered mail to. Thank you for sticking up for her and her story...for some people are to heartless and self- centered to care about others' feelings when blogging nonsense on the internet.
ReplyDeleteAnd for you Haley...I hope you don't loss your mother in a tragic way like this and have to read crap, like what you wrote, on the internet. Have a blessed night!
ReplyDeleteI am appalled at the words I have read here by one....Haley. I am sorry the news was slow on Nov 12th and they had to report news that was not newsworthy or personally affected by you, about a woman who lived in Corydon Indiana....a woman who was my aunt and contrary to your unpopular belief her death, her accident, and her life she lived for 54 years is newsworthy to ANYONE with a heart. She was a highly respected mail carrier in Kentucky (maybe closer to where you believe news is more worthy to be reported) she was a family person and someone you or anyone would be proud to have known. Though I could sit here and rip you to shreds because you are WRONG, I won't. My aunt's death isn't a reason to internet fight with heartless people. I will tell you there are people from Washington State, Arizona, Tennessee, Texas and I am sure many more people that have been interested in the details of her accident, because she was loved and cared about by ALL who knew her. So do not say her story is not newsworthy...Google her name you will see MANY people think her story is newsworthy....Thank you to all those who support my aunt and her story whether it be about the accident or her beautiful life...and for her sweet grandson who by only the Grace of God is here because HE made it so. Maybe a 6 year olds survival from a horrific accident isn't newsworthy to YOU, but it is to our family, her co workers and a community who loved Denise Meitzler and that my friends, is enough to make ANYTHING newsworthy. You are Barking up the wrong tree here...I think someone needs to find other things to write about.....God rest my beautiful Aunt Denise's Soul....and be with ALL who loved her. We appreciate the people who are genuinely concerned! Her life was way more than a story of a tragic accident that occurred on November 12, 2013.
ReplyDelete