Monday, November 11, 2013

CLASSMATES' BLOGS RESPONSE: Let Me Teach You About Formatting and Reader's Engagement, Son

I know this does not fit the typical classmate's blog response criteria, but there's a reason. This response goes out to all of my classmates, as they embark on their long and tragic journey through internet blogging.


I've seen on a few different people's blogs some formatting issues. When you are making posts, remember that people will not read them on Blogger's drafting form. When you make decisions about font colour and highlighting in a post, it will show up on your blog that way. Copy-pasting text into your post? Make the highlighting transparent and the font colour the same of that you use on your blog. (Some examples of mistakes in this are Christopher Collina, Will Lake, etc.) Inconsistencies in font colours and highlights are distracting to the reader and create a blockade between their receiving of your information. Especially if you have a white highlight with white lettering, or white on a black background, etc.

Also, I don't know about my other classmates, but I am tired of seeing the same theme on every blog. Same colour schemes, same format, etc. I mean, I know I use the default base format, but I added a header and changed the colours and layout a lot. But to have the same right sidebar or the same white-on-black colour scheme is very boring if one is reading multiple blogs in a row. Be creative with your theme! It's the blogger's responsibility to make the theme engaging for the reader, and for it to reflect the writer as much as possible. Mine looks more serious, but mine is a more serious blog (mostly, except  for the occasional Swagenburg). Don't use default backgrounds, don't keep the sidebar the same (i.e. blog post archive, then "about me" with your picture and G+ account). It's boring. Honestly, I'd list examples, but it's basically everyone. (I pick on Jamie because I can.) Change it up! Get creative!

I know Blogger doesn't have much variation in themes. I know all the free themes suck. I know no one makes good, free themes for it. This is because no one uses it much. But there could at least be an attempt.

Tumblr. Now that website has some good themes, but I digress because we should definitely not try to tie school in with Tumblr.

Yeah, definitely not.


No comments:

Post a Comment